1) NFL fans- We were all winners tonight. If you like offense, this was the draft for you. Fantasy football players everywhere were salivating all night. The NFL could not have asked for a better draft. This one had surprise picks, trades, and gambles.
2) Cleveland Browns- They didn’t screw up (yet)! The Browns took Myles Garrett first overall. There were rumors they would take Trubisky but they got smart and took the best pass rusher in the draft. Then they traded the #12 pick to the Texans and acquired a 2018 first round pick. With the number 25 pick they got from the Texans, the Browns took a play maker in Jabrill Peppers. I’m not sure what position he will play as a pro but he is a stud athlete. The Browns were not done! Cleveland traded with Green Bay to get back into the first round to make their third selection with pick 29. They targeted a tight end. David Njoku will be a nice replacement for an aging Gary Barnidge.
3) New Orleans Saints- Historically bad defenses have kept Drew Brees from getting back to the post season. So why not take defense in the draft? That’s what they did. Sure, they may have gotten lucky with the best cornerback in the draft falling to number 11 but they still had to make the pick. Marshon Lattimore can be a number one CB in the league. At pick number 32, the Saints then drafted Offensive Tackle Ryan Ramczyk out of Wisconsin to replace an aging RT Zach Strief.
4) Tampa Bay Bucaneers- How does picking O.J. Howard, the best tight end prospect, at 19 sound? Yep, sounds good to me too. The Bucs probably ran to the podium for this pick. Adding Howard will provide another passing option for Winston. The Bucs have Mike Evans and Desean Jackson at wide receiver. Look out NFC South.
1) Chicago Bears- Trubisky? Why a QB when you just signed Glennon? Why trade up for an unknown commodity? This is truly a head scratcher. Bears fans are hoping they have a winner but I’m not sold. They could’ve had him with their original third pick.
2) Kansas City Chiefs- I’m not opposed to drafting your quarterback of the future, but don’t trade the farm for a project player. Mahomes might’ve been there for the Chiefs later in the first round but Kansas City got impatient and traded a 2018 first rounder to the Bills to move up to the 10th pick. They passed on Watson, a more polished QB, and gambled on Mahomes. Not the smartest move if you ask me.
3) Detroit Lions- The Lions have only won one playoff game since 1957. So why not swing for the fences? They need defense. Reuben Foster was available at 21 but did the Lions take him? Nope. Detroit drafted Jarrad Davis, linebacker out of Florida. I’m not saying Davis will be a bad player but Foster is a machine! He reminds me of Patrick Willis. Lions fans should be disappointed they didn’t steal Foster. Foster fell to the 49ers at 31.